By: Nancy Phatsaphaphone - @PhatNancy
To start off my second day at MyCharityConnects was Andrew Schiestel of tbk Creative. Schiestel (say that 5x fast) gave some really interesting facts and points that all non profits need to implement or at least consider in their social media strategy.
First off is that blogs are still alive. There has been some talk in the social media world that blogs are not worth the time, money and energy because some companies/brands are not seeing a ROI. Schiestel disagrees with this and so I do. Blogs are worth it. Blogs give us a special view in the world of your organization, a unique voice…but it has to be unique. The problem with many blogs is that that are not unique, they are words gathering dust. Make yours unique, interesting, funny, outside the box.
If content is a problem in your organization Schiestel suggests that you should write words that best describe your organization and chose the best 3 and build around that. Also that you must create content that adds value to the audience i.e. recognize them, demonstrate values and that wheat they are doing whether it is volunteer or monetary value is doing something really beneficial.
Also email marketing is something of a topic in the social media world that people are questioning whether they are effective. Schiestel says they still are, even if they don’t read the newsletter, THEY SEE IT. They see your organization and it is in their subconscious.
Throughout the talk Schiestel gave many tips as to how your organization maximizes their social media campaign.
- create infograph on the progress your organization is doing
- people don’t read so use PICTURES
- have more Donate Now buttons on your website
- use professional photography (many will do it at a reduce rate for charities)
- consider pop-up buttons
- have an editorial calendar
- the world is going to mobile and so should you
- consider Pinterest if you have a lot of women volunteers and donors
- communicate brand promises
- photo albums have 31% higher click through
These tips will help you with you organization's social media campaign.