The MyCharityAccount Tip section is written by our Charity & Donor Services team, and features information about how to make the most of your MyCharity Account.
Many charities will include a brief explanation of CanadaHelps on their website along with the Donate Now! button so that donors understand how their donations will be processed. This is helpful because donations are charged to donors credit cards by CanadaHelps itself and some will not recognize the charge.
You know your donors best and what type of information they might want about CanadaHelps, but here are a few suggestions:
- Let your donors know that CanadaHelps is a registered charity that processes secure, online donations on behalf of Canada's 80,000+ registered charitable organizations.
- Emphasize that within minutes of making a donation, donors will receive an official electronic tax receipt through email.
- Include a link to the donor FAQ section on CanadaHelps - http://www.canadahelps.org/Info/4/29/ss.
- Remind donors that their credit cards will be charged by CanadaHelps.
- Provide a link to our Privacy and Security Policies - http://www.canadahelps.org/InfoPages/PrivacyHome.aspx.
- Outline the process of giving online through CanadaHelps.
- Highlight the benefits of online giving for both donors and charities.
- Update your donors on the different ways to give available through CanadaHelps, such as GivingPages, monthly giving, gift cards, workplace giving, and donating securities.
- Inform donors that CanadaHelps assesses a 3.9% transaction fee on each donation. This amount is deducted before the donation is sent to the charity. This 3.9% is covers all credit card merchant rates, transaction fees, banking costs, receipting, reconciliation and disbursement.
- Familiarize your staff with CanadaHelps so are ready and informed to answer any questions your donors may have.